Viva Aerobus launches 3 routes from the new Mexico City airport – English version


Viva Aerobus now serves six domestic destinations from the new Mexico City International Airport.

Mexican ultra-low-cost airline Viva Aerobus has launched three new routes from the new Felipe Ángeles International Airport (NLU) in Mexico City. Viva Aerobus now operates six routes to and from this new hub, with more to come shortly.

New routes

On Thursday, Mexican low-cost operator Viva Aerobus celebrated a new phase of its commercial services at Felipe Ángeles International. The airline launched three new routes, with services beginning in Puerto Escondido (Thursday), Acapulco (Friday) and Oaxaca (Saturday).

As of the first week of September 2022, NLU is expected to have approximately 132 weekly passenger flights (plus some additional cargo services, which we will discuss later). More routes will be added throughout the month, for example, Copa Airlines’ new service from Tocumen International Airport (PTY) and Arajet’s inaugural route from Santo Domingo International Airport (SDQ) .

Commenting on the new routes of Viva Aerobus, the CEO of the airline, Juan Carlos Zuazua, said that it was a pleasure for the company to continue building low-cost air bridges and connecting more points in the Mexico City metropolitan area. “We already have six routes to and from NLU, operating 240 flights per month and offering travelers more than half a million seats per year. We will continue to work to strengthen Mexico’s air connectivity,” he added.

On these routes, Viva Aerobus uses its fleet of Airbus A320s.

Viva Connectivity in NLU

Viva Aerobus also flies regularly from NLU to Monterrey, Guadalajara and Cancún (arguably Mexico City’s main domestic destinations). The airline will also inaugurate its first international route from this new airport in December. It will launch commercial service to Havana, Cuba.

Meanwhile, the service to Puerto Escondido will have three weekly flights (Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday), the route to Acapulco will operate twice weekly (Monday and Friday) and flights to Oaxaca will also operate twice weekly (Wednesday and Saturday ).

Since the first week of September, Viva Aerobus operates 511 weekly flights from two of Mexico City’s three airports (MEX and NLU). The airline is expected to add new routes from Toluca later this month.

NLU Connectivity

On September 21, Felipe Angeles Airport will be six months old. Between March and July, the airport handled 151,293 passengers and 1,526 flights. So far, Cancún and Tijuana have been the most successful destinations operated from NLU, with the highest number of passengers.

Yesterday, NLU made its first-ever cargo flight, operated by Aerounión, a Mexican cargo airline.

The airport has not had the success that the government would have liked. It has only one active international operation (by Conviasa, from Caracas). However, that may soon change following the announcement that Mexico City Airport will be capping operations at 85%. The remaining 15% will have to be redeployed to other airports – like NLU – or canceled for the next winter season. So far, there have been no announcements from airlines seeking to redirect their flights to NLU or other airports near Mexico City. (


About Author

Comments are closed.