Mexico City bullfighting ban extended indefinitely

0

MEXICO –

A judge has extended a ban on bullfights in Mexico City indefinitely, increasing the likelihood that the season will be canceled at what claims to be the world’s largest remaining venue.

Plaza Mexico, as the stadium is known, released a statement on Friday calling on fans to protest the decision. The stadium has urged bullfighting fans to post pictures of themselves with the word “freedom” written on their hands.

The company said it would appeal the decision.

“The company will postpone the scheduled bullfights and novilladas and will continue the legal defense of Mexican customs and traditions, to the fullest extent permitted by law,” Plaza Mexico said in a statement.

However, a higher court has already dismissed an appeal against the decision. Further hearings are to be held to decide whether to maintain the ban or make it permanent.

The judge initially issued a temporary ban in May, based on complaints that the bullfights violated residents’ rights to a healthy, violence-free environment.

Bullfights had been scheduled at the city’s main professional ring in July and September, according to previous announcements.

This decision threatens to mark the end of nearly 500 years of bullfighting in Mexico.

Historians say Spanish conqueror Hernan Cortes witnessed some of the city’s first bullfights in the 1520s, shortly after he conquered the Aztec capital in 1521.

Since 2013, four states in Mexico have already banned bullfighting and polls indicate substantial support for a ban. A ban in Mexico City – currently the biggest venue for events – would be an international setback for bullfighting.

Last year, the Mexico City Assembly’s Animal Welfare Commission gave preliminary approval to a law prohibiting public events “in which animals are subjected to mistreatment and acts of cruelty resulting in their dead”. But the bill was never put to a vote before the plenary assembly.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.